To set up a promotion that offers a discount on a range of products, except some that are not discounted follow these steps:
Select a promotion type
Create a new promotion and choose the "Discount some (but not all) products in a collection" template. This template is available for public and private promotions.
Configure the products to promote
Configure your promotion and pay specific attention to the Products tab:
- Top section: select "all products" or "all products in selected collection(s)" to define which products should be discounted.
- Bottom section: select which collections of products should be excluded. If you want to exclude only one product, you'll need to first create a collection for it (see instructions below).
Types of collections
Shopify allows you to create new collections to bundle products into groups. This can be done:
- Manually: you decide which product goes in which collection
- Automated: you define rules and each product that matches those rules goes in the collection
Discount Ninja can handle both types of collections.
Tips on building automated (exclusion) collections
Often it's a good idea to use automated (rule based) collections when you're grouping products into different collections for your promotions.
To create such a collection follow these steps:
- Go to Products > Collections in your Shopify admin
- Click "Create collection"
- Configure your rules
- Example: Create a collection with all products that have a tag "ExcludeFromSale"
- In this example, you would add a product to the collection by simply adding a tag to the product: